Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dogs rule




Dogs rule in Thailand. Overall they are the worst example of an animal on the planet. They are usually very dirty and most are all scarred up from battles with other dogs. A great percentage have hideous wounds from encounters with vehicles. Sometimes eyes are missing and most dogs limp some how. Tails can be broken and ears lopped over where they should not. But... Dogs go where they want and have the right in the road. There are exceptions and those are the dogs that people keep in the yard, inside the fence. There are a lot of cats. They are rarely seen but the majority of them have shortened tails. I think that is mostly because a dog has bitten it off. So generally cats stay out of sight. In the two months I have been here, I have seen one dog on a leash. Dogs are in the streets everwhere. They will sleep in the street. Cars must watch out for them and drive around them. Having said all that, Thais love their dogs. They have plenty of them. Most homes have 2 or 3. I saw one home that had about 20. The people that lived nearby called that guy crazy. When I used to walk by his house (I don't anymore) one of his dogs might bark and it set them all off. It sounded like a visit to the kennel where I used to board my dog when I went on vacation (in the USA). Some people ask me "Don't they eat them?". The answer is, "No." If you mention eating a dog most Thais make a face. They are sickened by the thought. It has been reported to me in a place not far from here called Sakornakon that they do in fact eat dogs. When our dog Tony is bad I threaten to send him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment