Sunday, October 25, 2009

Train wrecks








Local news today:



7 killed when their pickup truck hit by speeding trainUdon Thani - A pickup truck was hit by a speeding train it his northeastern province after the truck refused to stop at a rail crossing. Seven people inside the truck were all killed, police said.The accident happened at 4:20 am on the Mittraparp bypass road outside Udon Thani provincial seat.The truck was dragged by the Bangkok-Nong Khai train for about 300 metre.Police said the automatic system already blocked the road with a barrier but the truck crisscrossed the blockade and was cut into the middle by the speeding train.

End news.


There have been other train wrecks in Thailand recently but this one happened not much more than a mile from my house. Actually as the crow flies or as the train track runs it was probably not much more than a half mile because the train track runs within about 100feet of my front door! I have wondered and worried about the train track so close. The tracks cross the road out front of my house about 100 feet away. There is no barrier there. I am always extra cautious when crossing the tracks because the train does not always sound a horn. I think that on some trains it may be broken. On others it sounds quite pathetic like the horn is ready to die. But I also think if there were a derailment right there that my house is surely apt to be crushed by flying rail cars. There is also a guy that owns cattle living next to the tracks and he allows his cattle to graze along the tracks. It seems very risky to me but the cattle seem to know when to get out of the way. We are about 3 miles from the train station in Udon so the train is getting up good speed as it passes the house and heads out into the country on the way to Nong Khai. First 2 pictures are at the train crossing outside of my house. The last picture is the train station in Udon. Udon Thani, Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment