Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thai cross country buses

I have been traveling a lot on the bus system lately.  Every bus has a driver and one or two people that assist the driver, handle baggage and take fares.  The whole process is very interesting to watch.  First of all the number one priority to find as many riders as possible.  They actually hop off the bus at major stops and try to convince people to ride. I was also on a bus and sat directly behind the driver.  I noticed a huge can in front of me and realized that the air intake and filter were inside the bus, behind the drivers seat and in front of me.  It was a really old bus.  There was no air conditioning and they never closed the door during the whole 5 hour trip.  The assistants walk through the bus taking fares after they have picked up passengers.  Sometimes the bus is so full I can not help but wonder how they know who just got on and who owes a fare.  All the money collected is carried back up to the driver where he puts it in his pocket. Hummm.... They will pickup anybody on the road that sticks their hand out even if there is no bus stop nearby.
More about Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment