Saturday, July 25, 2009

Getting settled in

It has been almost 10 days since I left the U.S.A. Things are going well. There is lots to do getting settled in. My house is small. Air conditioning in one room only. Trying to get the basics going, like internet, TV and some familiar cooking. I have secured a weak wireless internet connection from a neighbor. I have contacted an Internet (ADSL) company and they were responsive for a day or two but now have disappeared. I have paid them about $125 but now they claim there are no more internet connections in my area and I have to wait till someone drops service. It could be months. I'll have to move rather than wait that long. I'll probably start the TV battle sometime next week or so.
I am meeting some of the neighbors. They are all very friendly to me (except one). Even the dogs in the neighborhood (dozens of them) are warming up to me. I carry a pocket full of dog kibble with me to make friends when I walk. Last night it seemed like everybody was out in the streets walking and jogging. The kids were playing in groups. Many people just brought chairs into the street and sat around.
This neighborhood has VERY little traffic. Kids, dogs and people wander the streets. Only an occasional car drives through. My subdivision is on the road to Khon Kean about 12 kilometers out of Udon Thani down town.
Gas is expensive. I go through about $15 every 2-3 days just taking the little one (7 years) to school and back. I last paid about 90 cents for a liter. There are nearly 4 liters in a gallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment